In July 1963 following a public meeting, the Geraldine Aged Persons Welfare Association was formed. Its aims was to establish a much needed community and church rest home and to take a general interest in the welfare of the aged in Geraldine.
Waihi Lodge was opened in March 1973, representing endless hours of voluntary help, extensive fundraising projects by the whole community and many generous donations. In 1973 the Association had over 1,000 members and had already established a meals on wheels organisation and a Geraldine Friendly Club.
Many of Geraldine's elderly residents have benefited since, in many ways, from the foresight of the local community over fifty years ago. Grateful thanks must be extended to all the volunteers and staff who have continued to work hard to ensure the Association continues to meet the needs of the elderly in our community.
The Community Services Committee
The Community Services Committee's role is to co-ordinate and co-operate with other like-minded organisations in activities which will improve the conditions of the elderly within the Geraldine community, such as
- organising home visiting and the provision of meals
- providing recreational and social opportunities
- providing advisory services and assistance.
The Residential Services Committee
The Residential Services Committee's role is to supervise the day to day operation of Waihi Lodge.
- Waihi Lodge is a not-for-profit aged residential care facility, serviced apartment and cottage complex for the elderly, owned and operated by SeniorCare Geraldine
- Waihi Lodge and Cottages is a caring community providing care and support aimed at assisting residents to maximise their potential, to maintain personal dignity, to encourage independence and promote wellbeing
- Waihi Lodge and Cottages is committed to utilising available resources to recognise and attempt to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual and social needs of its residents.